0800 WECOLLECT (932 655)

Can you seize assets in New Zealand if your debtor lives overseas?

If you have a court order against your debtor, you know the debtor has assets in New Zealand but he/she lives overseas or has skipped the country, what can you do to enforce your court order?

The answer is simple - you enforce your court order as if your debtor lived in New Zealand.
In other words make your application to the court for enforcement. In your application list the assets that you want the court to seize or charge.

In your application give the overseas address of your debtor. If you are unaware of your debtor's overseas address and used another means to serve your debtor when you obtained your court order, such as service by email, then include those details with your court application for enforcement.
The court will accept your application and treat it the same as any other enforcement application.

If you would like to discuss your situation, please contact the team at CollectIT on 07 834 9111 or email info@collectit.co.nz